Algae Quick Links
Coptrol specific use
Coptrol in effluent and waste water
Coptrol frequently asked questions
Coptrol in aquaculture
Algae control in poultry shedding
Coptrol environmental safety
Coptrol in golf courses and greens
Coptrol and hydroponics
Coptrol in drip irrigation and microsprays
Coptrol in drinking water
Algae control in reservoirs, dams,
Algae in Rice Crops
Coptrol in ornamental ponds
Coptrol use in farm dams and ponds
Coptrol use in mining and power stations
Coptrol use in Nurseries and Gardens
Coptrol Use in turf farms
Drinking water tanks
Kill algae in waterways and irrigation channels
Livestock Watering Troughs
Meet the Ruth Group
Coptrol export sales
Useful Links Page
Coptrol Environmental Safety
The three components of
are specifically exempted from
the schedules of the
*NHMRC Uniform Poisons Standard.*National
Health and Medicine Research Council of Australia
. Copper is a normal
component of the human body. The total copper content of an average
adult ranges from 100‑150 mg and a daily intake of about 2 mg is
‑ Oral ingestion of relatively small doses of copper acetate or copper sulphate produces acute toxicity in humans, resulting in inflammation of the gastro‑intestinal tract, abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea. Browning in 1969 reported that in adult humans 65 to 130 mg of copper sulphate orally ingested are dangerous. Levels from 650 mg to 1,000 mg are highly toxic and possibly lethal.
‑ Browning (1969) stated, " It is debatable whether chronic copper poisoning, industrial or non-industrial, exists in human beings".
‑ The evidence in relation to inhalation toxicity suggests that people regularly subjected to copper "dust" may suffer a non‑specific reaction to the inhaled dust as a foreign body in the lungs.
Coptrol, diluted 1:10 as indicated on the
, will result in a spray containing 10.7 g of copper per litre. For this reason, the use of a face shield is recommended when handling.
(1969) also noted that copper is not widely
recognised as a frequent industrial cause of dermatitis.
is mildly alkaline with a pH of about 9.6 and it can be readily
removed from the skin by washing liberally with water.
Nevertheless, the Coptrol label recommends the use of rubber
gloves during handling.
In normal circumstances, use of
to treat stock water,
dams or waterways will not present toxicity problems. On the
contrary, copper deficiency in pastures grazed by sheep and
cattle in large areas of NSW, Australia, has been a persistent
problem for many years.
(1975) stated that animals
grazing from pastures which contain less than 4 ppm of copper
will certainly suffer from copper deficiency. He further suggested
that the popular copper sulphate worm drench of earlier years
may have masked the inherent copper deficiency over wide areas
of pasture in NSW.
Frequently Asked Questions
Material Safety Data Sheet
©Ruth Consolidated Industries Pty Ltd ©Rural Chemical Industries (Aust) Pty Ltd All Rights Reserved